Young Palestinian Amputee Arrives in UK for Medical Care - Palestinian Girl Who Lost Arm In Israeli Missile Attack On Gaza Arrives In UK

When it comes to palestinian girl who lost arm in israeli missile attack on gaza arrives in uk, a Palestinian girl who lost her arm during the recent Israeli bombardment of Gaza has arrived in the UK for specialized medical treatment. Mariam Sabbah, 10, touched down at Heathrow Airport on Tuesday, accompanied by her mother, Fatma Salman, and two brothers. The family was greeted by a supportive crowd bearing gifts, balloons, and bouquets, symbolizing hope amidst their ongoing struggles.

Understanding Palestinian Girl Who Lost Arm In Israeli Missile Attack On Gaza Arrives In UK

Mariam's journey to the UK has been fraught with challenges. Following a missile strike that devastated their home in Deir al-Balah, Mariam had to undergo an amputation. The family initially aimed to seek medical care in the United States, but since the Trump administration's suspension of visitor visas for Palestinians in August 2022, they found themselves stuck in Egypt. "We're happy that we're here; we never thought we would actually be here in the UK," said Fatma Salman, reflecting the family's relief as they arrived in a new country. Originally reported by The Guardian.

Fatma described the initial nerves felt by her children, which quickly transformed into joy as they were welcomed by well-wishers. The emotional support was palpable, with the children smiling broadly amidst the balloons and flowers. Mariam is among over 11,000 patients evacuated from Gaza, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), which estimates that 18,500 patients urgently need medical care that is not available in the territory.

Challenges in Medical Evacuations

Despite the UK government announcing a medical evacuation scheme last year, Mariam's arrival was facilitated through privately funded efforts by the US-based NGO FAJR Global and Project Pure Hope (PPH). The UK-based charity PPH has been instrumental in helping evacuate patients and their families to the UK since its inception in 2025, operating on a model that laid the groundwork for the government's current scheme.

Three other families previously assisted by PPH were present at the airport to welcome Mariam's family, showcasing a burgeoning community of support. Soad Abuhemaida, a 28-year-old scholar who arrived in the UK from Gaza in November, expressed her empathy for Mariam. "When I heard that there was a girl coming in a few days and she's going to get medical care from the UK, it really made me feel happy," she said, connecting emotionally with Mariam's experience.

Calls for Increased Government Action

As Mariam begins her recovery, aid organizations are urging the UK government to intensify its efforts to evacuate critically ill and injured children from Gaza. The WHO announced on Monday the suspension of medical evacuations after a contractor was killed, prompting concerns from humanitarian groups. Mosab Nasser, co-founder of FAJR Global, warned that lives would be lost due to the halt in evacuations, noting that the ongoing war and border closures have severely limited medical options for patients in Gaza.

Rohan Talbot, director of advocacy and campaigns at Medical Aid for Palestinians, emphasized the precarious nature of current evacuation pathways. He stated, "The UK government and other governments must move beyond limited evacuation pledges and exert meaningful pressure on Israeli authorities to permit the unrestricted entry of aid, reopen all crossings, and allow humanitarian agencies to operate at scale." The urgency of these calls reflects the grim reality faced by many in Gaza, with more preventable illnesses and deaths expected without immediate action.

Future of Medical Evacuations

Since October 2023, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar have facilitated the highest number of medical evacuations from Gaza, followed by EU countries, Jordan, and Turkey. When the UK government scheme was announced, it was projected that up to 300 seriously ill children would be evacuated. However, only about 50 children and their immediate family members have been evacuated to date, raising concerns about the efficacy of the program.

Omar Din, co-founder of Project Pure Hope, welcomed Mariam and her family with open arms. He stated, "We're hugely grateful that some children have already come over on the government scheme. I think it would be great for the UK, in its tradition of being a charitable and humanitarian-focused country, to do more of this work." Din highlighted the recent support for Ukraine as a model for action, emphasizing that similar humanitarian efforts should be extended to those in Gaza.

As Mariam begins her treatment in the UK, her case underscores the urgent need for a more robust and effective strategy to support the countless children in Gaza who require immediate medical attention. The international community's response may prove crucial in shaping the future of medical evacuations from the region.

Originally reported by The Guardian. View original.